Sunday, August 15, 2010

There is a reason why Cebicheria rhymes with Diarrhea

I am very sorry for not having updated lately, I have wanted to but Dios Mio (Oh my God) so many things have been getting in my way. I have heard that many people enjoyed my last post, so heres hoping you enjoy thins one two.


So where we left off I was at a point in my journey where I was this excited nerdy little exchange student ready to live in Peru, that was a two Thursdays ago, well not much else happened that week, except for I got to taste the fiesta side of Lima. In one week in this country I went to 3 full on parties. I was ridiculously pooped by Saturday. There are basically three things any Peruvian teenager does at a fiesta. Drink, Smoke and Dance. Thankfully I am not a Peruvian Teenager, and I decided just to dance. What blew my mind, is that it is cool to smoke here. Now I know some of you Canadian teens smoke, and I know you think, "man am I tough" well I hate to burst your proverbial bubble....but you're not tough, and you're definitely not cool, just the opposite actually. That being said, many teens smoke here at parties, but I dance. There is something about reggaeton that just moves you. (Physically, not emotionally)

So as stated, after all of these parties I was indeed very "pooped" on Saturday. But "Pooped" is not strong enough of a word to describe what was to come.... (yes their is a horrible pun brewing). On Saturday my parents went to the market and we picked up cebiche (no not from a trust-able restaurant, from a small market stand). Now Cebiche, is basically raw fish, no not like sushi, it is much more crude. Anyways I have been excited for it all week, because everyone says it is the best. I ate it. I regretted it. About 5 minutes after finishing I asked myself "What demon have you released into your bowels" My parents ran out with a shot glass and Anis, (a 45% Alcohol from Arequipa) and made me take a shot. Ok it subsided, and I survived. We went and bought my uniform for school, and everything was fine. That night we came home and I had milk for my light dinner. I regretted that at about 2 in the morning. Lets just say I should have taken 5 times the recommended dose of Pepto Bismol because I had all 5 symptoms. That Sunday we went to the hospital where I was plugged into an IV with Electrolytes and Anti-Biotics. It didn't help much. I went home that night, and the next day was just as bad. Back to the hospital for an all day stay, with another IV of both Electrolytes and Anti-Biotics. After a few jugs of that, my body had settled down, but it was monday, and the next day was supposed to be my first day of school. Well that didn't happen, and I just sleeped all day and watched TV. To make things worse, I also hit an important stage of my exchange, homesickness, I cried, It was embarrassing, but what can I say, I love my family and friends. Curious as to what set off? My Mom, Dad, Aunt, Oma and Grandma's favourite musician is Andre Rieu, a Dutch Violinist and orchestra conductor. It just so happens that Andre Rieu strangely also happens to be my host parents favourite musician. At the first sound in the car coming home from the hospital I broke down. Anyways I got over my sickness, and am doing much better now. Oh and as a Special shout out to David CA, I was proscribe Gatorade jajajaja!

So After all of that horrible experience, Wednesday was my first day of Colegio at Pedro Ruiz Gallo in Chorrillos Lima Peru. Pedro Ruiz is a high school for the children of military officers, and I'm sure I mentioned my father is Colonel in the Peruvian army, and the Commandant of an army base in Lima. Anyways this school is ran by the army. I get salutes from random people when I talk about it, oh and it is catholic, but its not like I don't have experience in Catholic School. South American high school is very different from North American High school.  It is much longer from before 8 to after 3. I take 11 classes a week, usually 4 a day. I get RECESS AGAIN :D:D:D:D and the students don't listen and just talk. I am surprisingly good at school. Ingles is more or less the best thing in my life right now. Math and Physics are also ridiculously easy due to their lack of words, and even religion is fairly easy for me, I was very proud of my self when I wrote a paragraph on the death penalty being against the catholic faith in Spanish!!!! The only thing thats hard for me is Communicacion/Lituratura or Spanish class. I think that speaks for itself. the coolest thing though is that My Spanish (first language) teacher in Peru is EXACTLY like Mrs. Martin my English teacher in Canada, and I'm actually glad about it because its something familiar to me when there isn't much familiar. One other familiar thing for me is English Class (Second language). It is exactly like grade 7 French. The kids don't listen or care. The course material is so easy and meant for babies. And The teacher gets no respect. Part of me feels bad for her, but part of me also laughs. I of course come off as a nerd in that class, because I know everything. Oh and I forgot that I'm actually good at volleyball! Phys Ed ws actually fun, because its not full of jocks trying to act macho and show off, it was just a bunch of people who wanted to have some fun playing sports.

More Peruvian Facts! Fact 1, When your Dad is a colonel your life is made in Peru, you get cheap education, free health care, access to special clubs in the city, and more! Fact 2, the stereotype Fidel Castro created about Latino military officers wearing Track suits outside of work is TRUE (my dad wears a track suit ALL THE TIME) Fact 3 Gatorade is a prescribe-able medicine in South America. Fact 4 (for Catholics) You cannot receive the host at church without having gone to confession THAT DAY. Fact 5 Peru uses the French Law system, Napoleonic Law where you are assumed guilty until proven innocent. That is very interesting for me, someone who is considering becoming a criminal lawyer. Fact 6, Lima is basically covered by clouds all the time in the winter, but...since I have been here, strangely the sun has been out about 6 days, which makes me very happy. Fact 7, the past faact is one of the reasons Lima is considered the most melancholy city in the world. Fact 8, elections are going on in Lima right now! which is very interesting! You will get more info on that after, along with much more on Peruvian Politics.

I have gotten my first taste of culture shock and boy is it bitter, more on that as well coming soon! (along with hat philosophical post i promised)

Have a great Week if I don't post soon!

4 comments:

  1. Jajaja your rhyme is very funny.
    But it's true, you have to be carefull!! Try cebiche again but in a safe place.
    I'm surprised of your memory, you remember everything!
    See you at school!

    --------------------------------------------------
    Jajaja tu rima es muy graciosa.
    Pero es verdad, tienes que ser cuidadoso!! Prueba cebiche denuevo pero en un lugar más seguro.
    Estoy sorprendida de tu memoria, recuerdas todo!
    Nos vemos en el colegio!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dios mío - qué aventura :)

    Well, Jeff... with the diarrhea and first good cry of homesickness under your belt (pun intended), it can only get better from here!

    I very much look forward to following your adventures... stay well, and live large ~ these will be some of the best days of your life!

    hasta la próxima vez

    ReplyDelete
  3. It breaks my heart that you had such a bad first ceviche experience. But like your friend said....get it from somewhere legit. It really is amazing! Divirtete en lima!!!! chau!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahahahaha you just had me imagining Mrs. Martin using her puppets in SPANISH :)
    live it up!!!

    ReplyDelete